News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Game Modes

Started by mongolian, November 01, 2008, 11:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongolian

I'm sure we all want to see a 2v2 coop mode here, but let me  comment on what I've seen so far from players in the game.

Single player is a really format for people to start to get into the game.  There really is way too much to learn in Zatikon and despite I think it needs more ways to help new players learn more, this is a great start.

Cooperative.  I must say that almost all my games account for Cooperative.  Cooperative mode is really one of the true gems why I keep playing this game, cause it lets players not be upset at losing a game because it's only to an ai.  Very low frustration and a great way to learn how to see units working correctly from an ally.

Constructed.  This is the place to be once you got a handle on the game and want to show off your 'rated account'.   But, I think more then anything else, this category really hurts most players.  I almost don't even want to see demo accounts allowed to use this option so newbie hunters don't take advantage.  But, it's not even about winning/losing so much as it is about being completely pawned on when your new to the game.   Keep in mind, most people probablly don't even have a grasp on the game let alone just to "click" Constructed and get ripped apart.  Or even, try playing for a month or so and think you got a handle on how to move & attack and you are going to get ripped apart by a vet.

Point being here, Constructed overall, I believe is currently harming the community vs. helping it.  Again, my two options to revise this category are:

(1) Disable 'Constructed' button to DEMO accounts. or
(2) Make 'Constructed' games for DEMO accounts be unrated.

This leaves me my last category:

Random.  I really love this format aside of the  clear unbiases that happen in army selections.  This is a great place for players of all skill levels come together, learn some new tricks or just hone your skills.

mongolian

Due to the popularity of Cooperative Mode, I was thinking adding another Cooperative mode.  Call it want you want, but the idea this:

Same as Cooperative mode, will be 2 players vs 1 AI.  The only difference is that the AI will have pre-setup armies already set up on the board.  The pre-setup boards will always contain structures in play.  Something like 2 Barracks or 2 towers.  Additionally, the Barracks may even start off in the center of the board vs. all the way in the back.  Then, the AI will get a lowered point value from its normal AI Cooperative mode to compensate.

garcia1000

My experience is that whenever I play a random and there is a wyrm in either army, the game isn't fun usually. Has anyone else noticed this?

NozeM

Its a fact that a wyrm cost 550.
Its a fact that a random army isn't balanced.
So if you spent already half your money for 1 unit and the other units arround it have no added value, its no fun at all.

Against Garcia I had a deck with 3 Doppelgangers, 1 F-Serpent and almost no unit to kill an enemy.  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt='???'>

Or a deck with 2 Generals, Tactic and a Command Post. Almost 500 for extra commands and no units to move. (lol)

Maybe its an idea to setup severall army's with all the players and used these in random. In this case its at least balanced and the players can learn to use differend army's.

mongolian

Ok, let's keep back on track here.

Currently the game offers more then plenty of fun for the first 100 hours of gaming, but this game reaches a peak.  Adding more units is only a temporary solvant for this.  And coming from the perspective of constantly playing all three game modes: construct-single/coop-random, I would strongly like to urge to see another game mode. I've said this before, but let me rehash some ideas:

1. 2v2 Mode.  Same functions as cooperative mode, but turn order goes 1-3, 2-4.
2. Tacticial Chess Mode.  Premade 10 scenarios will exist where mirror armies are used.  The Scenarios will cycle upon game-makers choices.
3. Practice Mode.  Premade 10 "chess-like" problems occur.  Before the battle begins, there will be a dialogue box that explains the problem & solution. Problems would be something like must be solvable within 3-5 turns.

PS - Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but as I stated before, this game needs to offer more goals.  The "trading base" will really help, but I think 1 more game mode is really all it might need.

minime

I'd like to set the level of the AI, I will play against. Why? I'd like to build strange teams like 10 ballista and the like, and try them out against a weak opponent. Now my level is about 100 so it isn't that fun to play these armies ;).

Chronic Logic - Josiah

We have discussed being able to reset your AI level or even being able to manually set it.  The AI is a work in progress and we will see what happens with it in the future.

mongolian

I can't reiterate enough: this game needs a trainer/dummy mode.

New players need to understand how each piece attacks, moves, range and howspecial abilities work.  The trainer mode simply only lets you pick 1 unit at a time at a time and maybe shows how damage was assessed (power-defense).  This sounds obvious to any veteran, but to someone new they tend not to like to read.  It's really an unfair to have to regester this game just to understand how every piece works.  This would not exploit the non-demo units, but instead, it would help turn more players demo.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Not a bad idea, letting demo users try out all the units in a trainer would be a good thing.

mongolian

It amazes me, how many scenarios, I really don't know what will happen if I didnt have a trainer. I'm sure if I read and studied the text, it might make sense, but this:

Lich vs monster being protected by a shield bearer.  I would have thought that the monster would be killed by lich, but instead the shield bearer stoped it.  This is in contrast to the witch which will obviously give -2 max hp.

Try to imagine for a second a new player understanding that if a veteran can't. heh.