Random Map generator -> Multiplayer mode

Started by Zyrxil, October 16, 2001, 03:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zyrxil

Topic says what I mean. A random map generator would be pretty cool. Obviously you'd have to set up some limitations so that it wouldn't create a situation where any bridge is impossible, but eventually it should exist. It could also have control variables for "difficulty", etc.

And leading from that, you could have a multiplayer mode where the generator generates a map, and two players (or more I guess) compete to see who can complete a bridge in the fastest time, or with the least amount of cash, or that can hold the most weight. The last two would have a time limit.

Calis

As I see it, the biggest problem with random maps probably is the placement of anchor points.

Solution: Let us add  (=construct for big money) our own anchor points.

Let's say an anchor point on normal surface 20,000,
under water 40,000, mid air 80,000 .. maybe numbers needs further adjustment for game balance..

Volmarias

So does the "fastest time" bit, as I would imagine.

nalicnod

Constructing anchor points is a great idea !
How about multiplayer racing:
Both(every) palyers do their own bridges and then a race, when random quakes appear, over bridges n times both/one way and who is fastest gets a money bonus for next level.

Zyrxil

Why would that need a time limit? It would just end whenever someone finished a working bridge, and got the train to cross 4 times successfully.

about buying ancor points mabey ancor points in the air shouldn't be allowed, this would help from creating suspention bridges that don't rely on support towers and are therefore nearly indistructable

otherwise cool idea:biggrin:

pasqualz

The random map generator idea is great! I donb't know about the multi player ideas. The reason why I'm not sure is that it may take alot of code to implement across a network (I couild be wrong) and Pontifex to me is a great solitare game. I like playing it alone. (By the way, I'm not a loaner or hermit :-)
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

Calis

Pulsejet5: As I said, numbers may need tweaking. if you have to pay a HUGE price for mid-air anchors, you will think twice about buying that ;)

Maybe we could add some amount for putting them higher in the air, maybe add 10,000 for each unit above ground (or sea level?), too..

nalicnod

Good idea for a few minute bridge building experience if you have played all levels you have.
But is it possible to create it so it would count the money, difficult, etc. correct ?

mendel

Not a good idea - placing supports at track height would incur huge savings in connecting structure, and you want to make that cheaper to buy, too :-)
Placing a support higher up makes all cables attached to it longer; by this, it gets more expensive to do this anyway.

Zyrxil

Because it would be a random generator, it obviously couldn't be as good as a human designed map, but it'd be good for quick plays, and as for budget and difficulty, it'd have to assign that from the length the bridge has to span.

Calis

mendel: Nah, I meant the HUGE cost for mid air placement ( I suggested 80k for one.. that would be 160k for the usual symmetric pair) *plus* additional fee for the height.
Otherwise it would always be rather easy to use one or two anchors high up there and just run cables down to your deck..
At 160k/pair it probably wouldnt be cheaper to use several of them instead of building structure ;)

phongie

God mode and Hav would be awesome in multiplayer, one sitting in the HAV while the other is tossing him around.

VRBones

Although I like the idea of placing your own anchor points, I think this would remove the majority of the challenge though. You would always place anchors where you needed them to suit your bridge-building style, reducing the game to a clickathon. I think the anchor placement has the largest impact on the game, even more than budget or bridge length or anything else.

Personally I wouldn't mind even if the random map generator spat out an impossible one every now & then. It'd make for some interesting contests to see who gives up first ;)

mendel

Yeah, I can just imagine how awesome that would be, given net lag and all:
one second you're HAVing along, the other (update coming in) on the other side of the bridge... magic teleport for free! ;-)