News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

The Conjurer

Started by Kran, May 22, 2009, 03:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kran

I loved this new unit. I'm impressed no one even created a topic about him. But i honestly have a suggest. The Gate ability to deploy a unit. I'm a bit scared about deploying towers, i honestly dont like towers out of its normal range. Thats why i hate contructed armyes based in geomancers moving the castle / deploying towers. I hope the gate ability to deploy could be purple.

I agree that the summoned portal unit should be stunned. But thats not clear. At truely i did not saw that the summoned unit stay loyal to its castle. I thought the summoned unit was converted... lol ^^.
And i thought the summoned unit was going to stay in its place, and i new unit is summoned by your control. ^^

Thanks for the new unit
Enjoy

Kran

Kran

I dont know exactly why, but the invert is almost useless. What about if any conjurations that gets destroyed by surrounding invert explodes again and cause a chain reaction?

mongolian

conjurer is such a strange unit.   I'm really not a fan of it despite it has some super combos.  I would really prefer to see a weaker version of the conjurer for $200 or $250 and it only does 1 of the 2 portal thingies.  That way it's actually worth it's money and doesn't have to be an uber combo unit.

mongolian

PS - I hate combo units like this.  With the addition of more units, I can see this piece to be so troublesome with turn 4-5 kills.  Combo kills destroy Zatikon.  Remember the old sergeant-scouts trick, or the double wizard kills.  This is really asking for something nasty....

Kran

I change my opines to much quickly. I still like the conjurer, but may its a bit overpowered. Maybe 3 range in portal would be nice. Maybe the worse are combos with priest, golems and catapults.

mongolian

lower it to 3 range and make him only worth $250-300 then.  Also, how about being able to make 2 portals per turn, but they only work at 2 range?

Kran

man, 2 portals and 2 range on portals. Perfect. Would make invert a bit more usefull.

Kran

Well, i change my opines about units very quickly. This is for sure the worse unit of the game. Completely anti-strategical, this doesnt allow enemy to show any strategy with its 8 range. 8 range is absurd. The problem is not only that. Imagine a balanced deck. Think about healers, golems, diabolists, melee, tacts, command post, general, some horseman and everything we consider balanced. I would say that ALL balanced armyes loose againt a conjurer-based army. Thats bad, but true. You can think about priest. Priest are strong with conjurer, but beatable, they have to get 5 range of enemyes to convert. Its summon killer ability causes that you cant kill the portals. We cant try to rush due to commands, and cant try to kill cuz your units get stunned and die againt the opponent's army. I only see some armyes that can beat Conjurer + 2 archer or Archer + Longbowman. Rangers can beat it, but its VERY VERY HARD. You can immagine that. Second option: Get a dragon and 2 diplomats. The diplomat is in the top of what i consider unbalanced, only after the conjurer. 1 single reason: Allow rush without nothing that can stop it. Rangers destroy enemy army easily, as much as dragons with fireballs. Ok that dragons have 6 range, but 3 are movement. Movement makes the dragon vulnerable after fireball. Units like a knight can easyly kill them after fireball, but not with a diplomat.  After killing entire army, you can return to your area and go killing enemy reimaning units, like knights or warriors, or any other heavy melee. This game is "walking" backwards since that "RPS" are not paladins vs dragon anymore and Combos are not anymore healer and paladins. Nothing that can be circunvented, now, you can know when you loose before start of games if you know opponents army. Thats when the game is beetwen Top Vs low rank. Top players usually agree mutually to doesnt bring any conjurer, artificer, diplomat or other funless and unbalanced units

Kran

Lumen

The way to attack a conjurer army is to attack with more than one unit at a time.  It's better to destroy the portal yourself with your selection of a troop than to wait for your opponent to do it to whatever he wants.  The portal mechanic is an excellent way to fight against the ranged game.  Portals are a significant threat to weak units, and can be placed so only a ranged unit can kill them most of the time.  However, when they're destroyed as part of an advance, they're not so useful for the conjurer's side any more.  Since it just brought one of your units up (no lost turn if you kill it on your turn, because stun goes away at the end of your turn).

The conjurer is an EXCELLENT unit for facing off against armies based on few, expensive troops, like the wyrms, and most mages.

I'm not saying I think the conjurer doesn't need tweaking, but it's not its defensive powers that I find a bit too overwhelming.  It's the fact that it can drop a super-unit, like a golem, warrior, or knight off far in advance very early, or can be used to pull your own units forward with portals.

Kran

Completely disagree. Sure that conjurer is stronger againt expensive units, but when the enemy have the first move, almost impossible to face. Each turn a new portal in game, so, you can place catapults or other range units in right place to attack and kill at once. Also, that stuns the unit, i think this is bad, and doesnt force the conjurer's army to kill that unit in that move. To rush with 4, 5, units of 3 action each, you need many commands , much more than conjurer's army need to kill each one of your units. At most you kill one or 2 of the enemy units, loose all your cheap units and... you loose. You probably like it becouse you play with them, not againt. We can try a game with mine using a conjurer and you a balanced army, You see that the conjurer will still be powerfull even you knowing that he will be in. about golems, get some range and you kill it. About knight, they are the "expensive units" you are talking about. About killing enemy portals, ok, you can do that, but probably a sacrifice of a piece for a portal, spending many commands, againt portals that can be generated each turn for simply one command. I dont think this is fair. I would like to see portals very weaker and gates stronger. Maybe portals just summon allies or killers, gates returning also enemyes to castle, but in 3 range. Artificers can deal with it, but they some of most unbalanced units in the game.  I think I will post a list of unbalanced units soon. I can beat that with dragon and diplomat, But also diplomats are very unbalanced. (Becouse of armistice). Noone needs to agree with me, but i make my best to let my opines clear.

Kran

Lunaraia

I have to disagree on only 2 points, 1 armies needed, seriously 1 hydra in the army and the portals are completely and utterly useless, honestly the snakes can take care of all the portals in record time, still not helping grab an assassin to send the bugger back to the castle if he gets caught, still problems, grab the artificer, despite what Kran says it is highly balanced, yes it does turn allied pieces ito constructs, and heal and improve them, but it pays for theese abilities with being COMPLETELY unable to defend itself, in other words kill the other units and you win, to top it off, the artificer can only inog 1 unit per round so a rush army will be able to force the artificer over to healing before it can inorg all units, causing it to be completely occupied while the other organic pieces get's destroyed 1 by 1, then the inorganic pieces are in really big troubble, unless they can break through
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

Jezebeau

I like the idea of portals being weaker and gates being stronger.  Maybe lower portals to six total range?  It's just a bit of an issue that they're 2 range longer than everything else.  I don't like solo or duo units that say "you must fight on my turf or you lose".

One army that proved to be an issue in 2v2 (I can't remember who was playing it) was two conjurers and a priest.

mongolian

Yes, lets keep on track here.  If portal had range(3), I think the conjurer would be fine.  As is, it is too powerful.  Not sure if range 3 is enough, but it seems like that would be enough for me to say it's balanced.  I might even thinking of making both range 3.. need to test more.

Kran

What about portal only summon allies and killers? I dont think reduce portal range would help balance it.
Another sollution i see is to make portals really sound like portals. Here is my suggestion:

Any allied unit that can move to any portal location, can move instead to any location 1 range of any portal.
Pass thought portals cost same as moving, and units are not able to act in the turn after passing thru a portal.