Statistics: Buying vrs New Unit button

Started by Wakrob, May 05, 2009, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakrob

Im just wondering how rare some of the big dog pieces are.  Personally I am missing 11 types of units.  Id be glad to get any of them toward a complete collection.

The 11 pieces I need would cost a total of 56,700 gold to buy, for an average of 5100+ gold.

This means I could buy one of them or hit the new unit button 51 times!

So statistically wouldnt that be enough to get one of the units I need and maybe more?  At want point do you think you should stop using the New Unit button.

Wak

Lumen

A while back, I remember one of the developers saying that they crunched the numbers to determine exactly what the value was in buying a new unit, which means that they had a number to use to compare against the value you'd pay for each guaranteed buy.  I'd bet that the prices involved in buying a unit directly reflect the probability of getting that unit randomly.  The specific buys are NOT intended to be more cost-effective, but rather more time-effective and as such, less likely to irritate people.

If you still have big gaps in your full army and you don't NEED one specific unit to complete your list of doom, then you're probably going to gain more by buying units randomly than by purchasing specific ones.

mongolian

I used to spend on average 30k-40k to get one of the new uber rare units.  But, that doesn't factor in the fact all the crap that I get I could probablly sell.  All in all, that buy now feature is huge cause I've known others complaint about it not existing. Well done Zatikon crew.

If I was new, I much better off going buying random units, unless 1-2 units are crucial for an army you are building.

Lunaraia

Buying single and sutch are good I like it but I will be honest when I thought that the buy price would only be 10X the sell price, I.E 3.5k for the wyrm units, as it is now however it costs way over that number for even the most common units, kinda threw me for a loop to say the least, also I have noticed that once u buy a unit u tend to get that unit more often for some reason is this just coincedence or is it done on purpose, for example a while back I got no less then 5 dragons in a row! now if they are so rare as the price suggest what are the exact odds for something like that to happen?, also, seeing as to how low the sellling price are compared to the buy price wouldn't it be... I don't know, prudent to increase the sell price also?
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

zatikon

All random buys are totally random, based on tiered rarity.

The sell costs are carefully tuned to return an average of 0.87 gold for every 1 gold spent buying random units if you sell everything.

Lunaraia

ah ok, still, care to calculate the chance? ^^
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

Kran

hmm. 20%... in 100. With the corrections of the selling units that you dont want, i would say... hmm. 20% in 615. I would calculate that exept you want expecificaly 3,252033% of total amout of units, its better to press the random button. ^^. That means that if the game have 100 diferent units, its better to buy individually if you want exactly 3 units or less. But the game dont have 100 units yet,  exept you want security, its not good to buy individually if you wanna more than 2 units. Example, if you need 5 units, press the random until you get just need 2 units only. Then you buy them individually. Also that just works for players that have LOTS of golds, otherwise you can get frustaded expending your gold and do not getting the units you want. After all, you have 50% of chance of do not getting the units you want when you spend exactly the cost to but indifidually 3,25% of the amount of total units in game. Ressalt that aplyes for diferent units, and lots of same unit counts here as only one.