News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Windows XP Problem

Started by exatatm, October 11, 2001, 03:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exatatm

Pontifex seems to have a problem running in XP.  It loads but is EXTREMELY slow.  Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem.

pasqualz

Especially in XP make sure you have the latest certified drivers, after that, just throw anything at it.
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

mcgreat

Do you have Matrox display card ?
My work computer (Pentium 4 , Win 2000) was unplayable but
my home computer (Celeron, Win 2000) with TNT2 worked
very nice.

(Edited by mcgreat at 9:34 am on Oct. 11, 2001)

malfunct

I use xp with a TNT2 card at work and detonator XP drivers and it really really sucks (like 5 frames a second or something bad like that). At home on a machine of the same speed but with a Geforce 2 also running xp and the detnator XP drivers I run absolutely fabulous. I guess its good that the game doesn't work on my work computer or I'd never get anything useful done.

Under the requirements for the game, the OS requirement is Windows 98/ME/2000.  XP is not there because it is brand new and we have not been able to test on it yet.  

We have heard of a couple people getting it working using beta drivers, but most people have had the same experience as you.

We may support it in the future, when it is more available and we are able to thoroughly test it.

hzt564

I was having problems with an NVIDIA GeForce2 under XP.  Looked like the mouse was not responding fast enough.  I'm assuming it was a frame rate issue.  I upgraded to the Detonator XP drivers and it works fine now.

Twisted

I had a similar problem running the demo on a WinMe Laptop. In 16-bit fullscreen mode, it would load and run quite quickly, but I couldn't see the writing, or the mouse pointer. In both windowed, and 32-bit modes, it would load and run fine, other than being slow to a point way past unplayability. It works fine on my win2k machine. I thought it may have been a driver/vid card prob.

baggio

Just to add to the me too fray.  XP, or any other version of windows for that matter, does NOT come with OpenGL drivers.  You MUST install drivers from the video card manufacturer in order for OpenGL to work properly.  There is a software version that Microsoft provides, but it is only good for the screensavers at best.  With video drivers that add OpenGL support, Pontifex runs perfectly.

/Ryan

beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

panther

Have a few ideas for you on this one....

If you're running a GeForce... Get the Detonator XP drivers from Nvidia. XP will warn you that drivers are NOT certified....ignore it, they work just fine.

Also....using a SoundBlaster Live with the 'fixed' way of installing the 2000 drivers into XP will cause you untold problems. If you have one, wait for the official release mid-late October.

Remember that XP has a system restore function....use it always to create a restore point before loading drivers.

Finally, make sure your OS is a released version and not a Beta. Helpful info on XP configuration may be found at www.tweakXP.com

Hope you get it sorted....

-=// He who hesitates - probably isn't sure that there are no broken links \\=-

andorb

I'm running WinXP with a soundblaster live and a geforce2 card and it runs great!  Just get the latest drivers for all your hardware.
I say, anyone up for a game of tennis?

kinnoch

im on XP too and my game runs just fine in full screen mode
but i get an error every time run it in windowed mode...
i got the latest xp nvidia drivers http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>
i'm not expectin a solution, just wanna report something u might be able to fix

next362

Ive been running xp on a athlon 1.45 w/ 16 meg tnt2 card w/o many problems...  i did notice if you minimize the window the train will run very quickly...  say instead of the 30-40 seconds it normaly takes for me it will take 10 or less seconds...  so i build a bridge then just minimize and see if it worked if not ill watch and see the failure and try to fix it.

olivierv

I'm running XP and have had narry a problem.   I've got a GeForce2 GO and haven't had any loading/speed problems.  I know this is useless to those who have issues, but maybe it'll help in finding out the cause (ie XP is not causing the problem 100% of the time)