News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Newbie questions

Started by Maaartin, September 04, 2010, 12:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maaartin

Sorry, I haven't find any forum named "questions" or alike.

There are some things confusing me a lot and on top of them stands "goad" - the ability to cancel movement. The phrase "triggers when the enemies flee" doesn't help much as I didn't feel like fleeing and it triggered anyway.

What does canceling in "1 range" mean, is surely easier to guess, but still unclear. Should the unit be in 1 range before the movement or after or both or whatever?

Something different: Could there be a beginner mode with much less crazy things coming upon me? I like most of the units but I'd prefer to learn them much more slowly.

Norsker

The Chieftain's flee canceling is a confusing ability, and I don't know that I can explain precisely how it's triggered off-hand(although I would know in-game), but I'll give it a shot:

You can never move vertically(oriented towards castle) in a direction that takes you away from the Chieftain;  I suspect this was not the part you were having trouble with.

If you are to the left of the row the Chieftain(row being vertical) is on, you cannot move further left; if you are to the right of the Chieftain's row, you cannot move further right.  As an example, a chieftain placed on the bottom right corner of the board would mean that your opponent could only move towards your castle, or to the right.

Canceling movement within one range would  mean that the ability would trigger on a unit attempting to move that STARTS movement within one range of the canceling unit(i.e., adjacent to the footman). So if I have a dragon next to the footman and I try to move it away, the footman will cancel the movement and I'm out of luck.  

Early levels of the AI usually don't have 'crazy things' coming at you.  Did you play a coop game with a more experienced player?  I seem to recall that this, for some reason, raises the level of your single player AI.  Your AI goes down one level for every two consecutive losses, so you can throw a bunch of games if this is the case.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Welcome Maaartin.  The sure way to tell if you will be able to move in a direction with the chieftain goad ability active is to count the number of squares in the shortest route between your unit and the chieftain.  Then count do this for the square you want to move into.  If the number of squares between the chieftain and the new square is less then or equal to the number between your current position and the chieftain then you will be able to move to the new square.  If the number is greater then you will not able able to move to the square.